Pruning shears are the best gardening tools one needs for a perfect gardening experience. The best pruners are ideal for cutting all the shrubs, plants, flowers, and much more. Hand pruners are also known as secateurs, which help in keeping the masterpiece in place.
Dive in to find out all about the best hand pruners. Whether you are an amateur or a professional, we all seek the best pruners for gardening, comfortable, sharp, and durable to appropriately accomplish the tasks.
The Best Hand Pruners Listed
1. Gonick Professional – Best Hedge Clipper
- This bypass pruner comes with a drop-forged body plus handles. The blade of this pruner is made from premium titanium steel with ultra-fine polishing technology.
- This unique hand pruner comes with an ergonomically designed handle. The non-slip handles of this hand pruner are lightweight, healthy, and comfortable at the same time.
- It features a sap groove design, which keeps the pruning shears in the right condition and prevents them from sticking by the channeling. Cut tree branches of around ¾ diameters using these hand pruners.
- The high quality, ultra-fine polishing with top-notch material makes the Gonicc 8’’professional hand pruner an ideal choice. This hand pruner’s blades are so thick and sharp that they prevent the tree pulp from causing rust over the blades.
- This Gonicc hand pruner’s handle is made from top-notch quality aluminum, wrapped with the PVS layer, which is comfortable and soft to use.
- A sharp and easy-to-use, reliable hand pruner is the best partner for your gardening.
- Using the bypass cutting tools helps you create the scissor-like motion if you plan on cutting the live green trees or plants. Moreover, you get a special discount if you purchase two or more items.
Weight: 6.4 ounces.
Dimensions: 11.57 x 5.75 x 1.89 inches.
2. Gonicc Professional – Best Overall Hand Pruner
- This hand pruner is unique because it features drop-forged handles and body, plus the ultrafine polishing technology, making it worth buying.
- This is one of the best bypass hand pruners that work well as garden shear, clipper, tree trimmer, and much more.
- The blade material of this hand pruner is high carbon steel that works well for trimming, deadheading, tree shaping, shaping vegetables, flowers, annuals, bonsai, and much more.
- This ergonomically designed pruner comes with non-slip handles making it a robust, comfortable, and lightweight choice.
- It features a sap groove design, which makes pruning shears prevent sticking. These pruners also work well for cutting ¾” inch diameter tree branch size, but it varies based on different tree species.
Dimensions: 10.6 x 1.3 x 3.5 inches.
Weight: 8 Ounces.
3. Fiskars Hand Pruners – Best for Budget
- Investing in this hand pruner won’t make you remorseful, as it’s best for cutting light branches and stems. It also comes with an effortless-open lock, which protects this bypass pruner’s blade during storage or transportation.
- It is one of the best pruning shears, which is wholly hardened and comes with a precise-ground steel blade making it evenly sharp when you heavily use it.
- The best part!
- It comes with a low-friction coating, which allows the blade to glide effortlessly through the wood preventing the blade from sticking up having debris or sap, and it resists the blade from rust.
- It’s available in one pack, two-pack, three-pack, four-pack choices. The material of this pruning bypass shears is steel. The blade material is made from alloy steel.
- Getting this best hand pruner is worth it as it comes with a lifetime warranty. The maximum capacity of this steel pruning shear is around ⅝ inch diameter. It is designed in such a way that it’s highly durable.
- This ideal, reliable pruner is perfect for generalized pruning tasks. This hand pruner’s blade will last for a long time due to the all-steel design, which offers excellent durability.
- Get your hands on this reliable, rugged, designed bypass pruner to make clean cuts in the living green. Get ready to tackle your gardening job with this pruner, which features beveled, cambered blades prepared from non-stick, high carbon steel. Cut the trees and plants quickly and smoothly using this hand pruner.
Dimensions: 4 x 1 x 10.75 inches.
Weight: 10.4 Ounces.
4. Felco Hand Pruners – Best High-End Manual Pruner
- Felco is the best anvil hand pruner that comes with steel material. The anvil blade in this hand pruner comes with a sap groove.
- The hardened nut and bolt in this manual hand pruner can precisely adjust the anvil and cutting blade.
- Get this manual hand pruner comfortable and easy to use because it comes with rubber cushioning and shock-absorbing properties. It is an ideal manual pruner for easy adjustments and light applications.
- It comes with a strong blade having a wire-cutting notch. The metal handle of this manual hand pruner is lightweight. The blades are of top-notch quality and use hardened steel. They come with a limited warranty, though.
- These gardening scissors come with an extra comfortable, revolving handle suitable for all pruning types due to the ergonomic, hand-fitted design. The shock absorber in this hand pruner softens down the impact of cutting for reduced risk of injury and extra comfort.
- Achieve precise, clean cuts using the narrow pointed, anvil blade and access the twiggy branches.
Dimensions: 9.25 x 4 x 1 inches.
Weight: 8.8 ounces.
5. Gonicc Hand Pruners – Best Garden Shears
- Gonicc makes sure to offer the clients a long-lasting, durable product. You can simply use Gonicc as a hand pruner, clippers for your garden, tree trimmer secateurs, garden shear, or more.
- This hand pruner comes with a drop-forged handle and body, plus a high-quality carbon steel blade, which comes with ultra-fine polishing technology.
- This Gonicc professional sharp, bypass pruning shear is best for trimming, shaping trees, deadheading, annuals, roses, flower gardens, vegetables, bonsai, and many other plants.
- No more slipping hands from the pruners as it is ergonomically designed with non-slip handles. Moreover, it’s strong, comfortable, and lightweight making it ideal for use.
- It comes with the sap groove design, which helps in pruning shears from sticking when channeling sap. This pruner can cut around ¾ inch diameter-sized branches of the tree, but it varies based on the tree species.
- Gonicc brand never fails to offer premium, durable, and high-quality pruners for gardeners. These pruners undergo strict quality checks to ensure high-grade products reach the buyers.
Dimensions: 10.6 x 1.3 x 3.5 inches.
Weight: 8 Ounces.
6. VIVOSUN – Best Garden Clippers
- This pruning shear comes with straight, stainless steel blades with orange handles.
- What you’ll love about this gardening hand pruner is it offers less strain to your hands because of the microtip snips, which are built in a spring-loaded fashion for automatic opening without you performing any work.
- This leads to less fatigue on hands making great snips, especially for people suffering from carpal tunnel hand, writs issues, or arthritis patients.
- The handle’s comfortable grip makes it easier for the users to work for a longer duration to avoid any discomfort.
- Moreover, it comes with ultra-sharp blades that offer quality snips helping you tackle your gardening needs, whether it’s trimming, deadheading, or shaping of roses, vegetables, annual small flowers, or any others.
- This garden clipper features micro tip snips, which are secure and safe to use with a sideways locking mechanism that offers enough protection to the users.
- Besides that, this hand pruner’s design is perfect for using it from the right or left hand.
- Get in between the plants now for precise cuts using micro tip snips, which allows you to snip and clip the desired part of the plant. However, you need to proper care of this pruner and clean blades once you use it.
Dimensions: 8.94 x 3.54 x 0.67 inches.
Weight: 2.89 ounces.
7. TOOLROOM – Best Heavy-Duty Pruner
- The ToolRoom is the best tree pruner that comes with a heavy-duty, professional-style pruning shear in black color. The blade’s material in this hand pruner is high carbon steel, making this pruner quite durable and sharp.
- The easy locks and cuts in this pruner are ideal for getting rid of light branches and cutting stems. The cuts with this pruner are smooth and do not damage any plant branches.
- The maximum cutting capacity with this pruner is ¾ inch diameter, which might vary based on the tree species.
- This unique and easy-to-hold hand pruner comes with a drop forged body plus handles. The maneuverability of this best bypass pruner is also remarkable.
- The blade material of this hand pruner uses ultra-fine polishing technology with 50# steel, and the material of the handle is aluminum and PVC.
- This pruner’s handles are ergonomically designed with a non-slip material, making them lightweight, strong, and extremely comfortable.
- Using this reliable pruner easily for several pruning tasks ranges from cutting down the young trees, shrubs, grapevines, and others. It is a perfect choice for landscapers, gardeners, farmers, nursery workers, greenhouse growers, etc.
Color: Black, Red, Red-grey.
Weight: 4 Ounces.
Dimensions: 10.47 x 3.5 x 1.22 inches.
8. Mockins Garden BYPASS – Best Professional Pruner
- Mockins offer the best pruners to the buyers, which come with stainless steel blades and offer 8mm cutting capacity.
- It’s available in green color. The material of the blade is stainless steel and comes with a straight edge.
- Newbies and experienced gardeners highly recommend Mockins professional best pruners.
- They are ideal for flowers, bushes, and plants. It is a perfect gardening tool that features a safety lock.
- Achieve effortless clean cuts using these bypass pruning shears with stainless steel blades.
- Enjoy easy tree trimming and easy pruning using this hand pruner.
- Indulge in the pain-free experience of gardening using this hand pruner, making your life comfortable and easy because of the ergonomic rubber handles. No more arthritis pain after using this bypass pruning shears.
- This easy-to-use gardening tool works well for people with small hands. Not only this, these pruners come with a lifetime warranty or complete refund.
Weight: 8.4 ounces.
Dimensions: 10.91 x 2.91 x 1.38 inches.
9. Corona Bp – Best Garden Pruner
- These best trimming scissors come in three sizes, including 1”, ½”, and ¾”. Getting your hands on this bypass pruner allows you to easily cut the branches and stems of around 1-inch diameter.
- What makes this bypass pruner unique is the fully heat-treated alloy construction of the blade, which works well for professional gardeners.
- The sap grooves in this bypass pruner prevent the blade from sticking and allows efficient cutting. Though for retaining the strength and hardness of these best pruners, you need to resharpen them for maintaining durability.
- This tool’s hook and blade offer precision, a hook that is slant-ground and offers a narrow profile.
- Besides that, it comes with a wire-cutting notch in the tool, which offers safety to the users and prevents them from accidents. Take care of this pruner by lubricating it after every use.
- Experience the top-notch performance of this pruner because of the durable classic cut tool. Corona is a brand that is best for providing the best products for agricultural professionals, contractors, and avid gardeners.
Weight: 8.4 ounces.
Dimensions: 10.91 x 2.91 x 1.38 inches.
Hand Pruner Buying Guide:
Once you are done scrolling through the popular hand pruners, you need to know how to choose the best pruners. After reading the pruning shears review, here is the list you should look for buying the pruners.
Types of Pruners:
Bypass pruners – these pruners function similarly to scissors. These are named so because the upper blade bypasses the other blade. The bypass pruners are famous for general pruning needs.
These pruners are excellent at offering smooth, clean cuts over delicate plants and avoids any damage during the process. These best pruners are for removing green, living plants. Bypass pruners are the best as they offer clean-cut, are easy to use, and come with replacement parts.
Anvil pruners – these pruners work similarly to knives rather than scissors. Such pruners are useful for cutting rigid branches and trees. However, they crunch or squash the delicate plants. Generally, you can use these pruners to get rid of brown, dead plants.
Ratchet pruners – these pruners come with an extra smart mechanism that makes your plant cutting work light. Once you squeeze the ratchet pruners, they latch, allowing you to release and then squeeze again. If you have low wrist strength, then these pruners are ideal.
Availability of Replacement Parts:
All pruning shears in the market do not replace parts once they wear out, break or damage. The high-quality pruners come with replacement parts. Bear in mind that the more you pay, the top-notch product you receive.
Material and Quality of Blades:
The material and quality of the blades are also essential when you plan on buying hand pruners. Most blades are made from steel. But sometimes, they have a coating of a non-stick substance that resists sap plus different sticky materials.
Choose a pruner with blades made from a top-notch quality, carbon or hardened steel that lasts for a longer duration and is less likely to undergo sharpening or nickel.
The poor-quality blades have a dull edge, and they make pruning a problematic task resulting in damage to the plants.
Moreover, when you choose the pruner, the blade quality is also identified by their closeness. The closer the blades are, the better they are. The best pruners of high quality are the ones that allow adjustment of tightness in terms of cutting mechanism that ensures blades are tight to each other.
The pruners come with a locking mechanism that keeps them in a closed position. The best pruners are the ones that feature locking mechanisms as it keeps the safer without you accidentally cutting yourself from the sharp blade.
However, some locking mechanisms work better than other pruners. Choose the pruners which come with a latch allowing you to easily open and close them without your fingers getting in the way.
The pruner’s cutting capacity is defined by the blade’s distance between each other. This does not indicate the cutting capacity of the tool in terms of the branch size you cut.
The true cutting capacity of the pruner is based on the wood harness plus the user’s strength. If a pruner has a cutting capacity of .75 inches, you can cut the size lined without facing any trouble.
Moreover, if you are too strong, you might cut through the dead white pine, and if you feel strain while cutting the tree, it might cause ragged cuts or damage the pruner if you twist it. To prevent any unnecessary damage, it’s best to use a saw or a lopper.
Safety is an essential feature you need to consider while buying the best pruners. Check the shear that features the locking mechanism, which keeps blades closed, especially when you do not use it. Most pruners come with mechanisms that allow you to lock the blades in a closed position, so you don’t suffer from accidents or unforeseen injuries.
All the buyers don’t prefer the ergonomic design. Still, if you are a regular gardener and you deadhead or prune the plants regularly, you’ll love the tool with an ergonomic design. These pruners result in low wrist strain and need low pressure on closing, making the pruning experience utterly stunning.
The ergonomically designed best pruners come with angled blades, soft-grip handles, and a slightly curved shape. Pruners in the market also come with a rotating handle, allowing hand movement when you close or open the handles. This feature is essential for people who prune a lot and undergo hand fatigue.
Best pruners come with a strong spring between two handles, which pushes blades or handles apart as soon as you relax the grip. This leads to lesser fatigue and reduced workload.
The two common spring types seen in hand pruners include wire springs and coiled metal or volute springs. Both of them are good, but the one which is tightly attached with the handles works well. Such springs do not pop off or pull off the branches while you prune the shrubs or trees.
The corona hand pruners, as discussed above, come with a spring-like system that is integrated into the cutting head, which means the spring won’t pop off or get caught.
If you are buying a pruner that comes without springs, it works like a garden scissor, which means you need to rely on the fingers to pull the handles. Such pruners are tiring to use.
Easy to Disassemble:
With several pruning shears in the market, you cannot remove all of them when you plan on cleaning or sharpening the blades.
With continuous use, dirt, sap, or debris builds up over the blades, between the handles, and more, making it difficult to use the pruners. The best pruners are those which you can easily take apart for cleaning or sharpen the blades easily.
Weight and Size:
You need to consider the pruning shears’ weight, size, whether they fit in the hands, or how large their diameter is to cut the branch comfortably. Most of the hand pruners in the market manage to cut ½ inch branches while some cut 1” or more.
Cutting plants is, however, difficult as they might cause wrist strain or cause other damage. For regular pruning, check the size and weight of the pruners carefully.
Hand Pruner FAQs:
What Are Bypass Pruners?
Bypass pruners are the pruners where a cutting blade passes over the counter-blade in a scissor-like action. The counter blade comes with a hook shape, which holds the branch steady at times of cutting.
The counter blade is meant to crush the branch’s bottom. Cut the branch from the side, which allows you to position the counter blade underneath the wood for removal. Such short blades make precise cuts, and a perfect handle length enhanced leverage.
Which Is A Better Bypass or Anvil Pruner?
The bypass pruners work like scissors, while anvil pruners work like knives. Anvil pruners are meant for getting rid of old, dead woods, while the bypass pruners are meant for cutting life, recently dead wood, or flowers. For most of us, the typical job in our gardens is to get rid of the live, green plants, so it’s best to get your hands on the bypass pruners.
What Are Anvil Pruners Used For?
Anvil pruners come with a single, straight-cutting blade that closes down over the flat edge. The anvil pruners work similarly to the knives and perform a slicing action over the cutting board. Plus, they help in removing the dead, tough woods. These pruners are slightly bulky, which makes them challenging to make crotch cuts.
How Do You Sharpen Pruners?
Use sharp pruning tools that need less effort and make clean cuts. Use a single-cut mill file, stone which is smooth and works well over straight edge pruning shears. The ok6-okatsune sharpening stone or 10ss-swiss sharpener serves as the best sharpening tool for pruners. It’s best to sharpen the blades well before they get dull and enhance efforts. For loosening the sticky pruners, you can use a can of WD-40.
For instance, if the blade is notched or dull, you can remove the pruners and repair the real damage. Make sure to maintain a factory angle over the cutting edge. Sharpen the blade from away the blade rather than towards the blade. For bypass pruners, sharpen it on one side of the blade. For double-cut and anvil pruners, sharpen them on both sides of the blade.
What Is the Meaning Of Pruners?
Pruners are the types of cutting tools that help in pruning plants. They are also known as scissors or secateurs.
How Do You Sharpen Pruners By Hand?
Before you start sharpening the pruners, seek the angled or beveled edge. The anvil pruners come with a single blade, which comes down over a flat plate. It is beveled in both directions, similar to a knife. So, you need to sharpen them on both surfaces.
On the other hand, bypass pruners come with a single beveled edge that slides on the solid bottom half of pruners. Take a stone or file for sharpening the pruner and lay it down parallel to the blade over the beveled side.
Put pressure over the outer edge of your pruner’s blade. File the blade in a single direction and outwards direction. Then lift and repeat. Do not rub in the back-and-forth direction. Perform it a few times, and you’ll get back the perfect sharpness.
How Do You Clean Hand Pruners?
Cleaning is essential for keeping the hand pruners in their ideal shape. You need steel wool, medium to fine sandpapers, mill or rattail bastard file, whetstone or honing, warm, soapy water plus small brush, clean cloth, cleaning solvent, screwdriver, wrench, lubricating oil. First, disassemble the pruners. Now keep track of all pruner pieces. Scrub away all the buildup grime. Wash them using soapy water and use a brush.
Once done with cleaning, wipe it using a dry cloth. For resistant stains and soil, use steel wool or make use of the sandpaper. Get your hands-on cleaning solvent for further removal. Next, restore the blade edge using sharpeners. Now reassemble the hand pruners and coat them with a lubricant.
What Can You Clean Pruners With?
You can use soapy, warm water with a brush. For resistant stains, use steel wool, sandpaper, or a cleaning solvent.
How Do You Sterilize Pruners?
To maintain the pruners in perfect functioning, prevent them from rusting and prevent the spread of plant diseases, you need to sterilize them. Wash the pruners first and then sterilize them by dipping, spraying, wiping, or soaking them in a disinfectant, killing plant pathogens.
Use the isopropyl alcohol or ethanol, which is ideal for the sanitization of best pruners.
How Do You Maintain Pruners?
For maintaining the pruners, you need to keep them clean. Remove the entire sap and debris. Wash and clean them regularly. Maintain the blades with a perfect edge and dry them out. Plus, store them properly.
Our top pick from the best pruners is the Gonicc 8″ professional hand pruner(gpps-1003), which is the best type of bypass pruner with an ergonomic design. Its blades are made from titanium steel with ultra-fine polishing technology. Investing in this tool is the right choice as its lightweight, comfortable, and strong.
The runner-up is Fiskars shears bypass pruner, which is the best pruning shear that comes with an easy-open lock allowing easy transportation. The minimum friction coating in this tool enables easy gliding.
Take your time to choose the best pruners carefully. Choose the pruners which offer safety, durability, ease of use, comfort, and extreme effectiveness. Choose the best hand pruner that suits your gardening needs.